Dehradun is a city in the northern Indian state of Uttarakhand. Dehradun, the capital city of Uttarakhand, is a beautiful and picturesque destination that offers a perfect blend of history, culture, and nature. It is known for its historical monuments, temples, and scenic beauty. If you are planning to visit Dehradun, here is a guide that will help you explore the best places in the city. Here we are Exploring Dehradun – A Guide for Tourists
Why to visit Dehradun ?
- Dehradun has a multitude of nature trails, forests and hill stations that offer a breathtaking view of the majestic Himalayas. Whether it’s long-treks, peaceful walks or picnics in the hills, Dehradun offers visitors a unique experience in the lap of nature.
- The city is also home to several historical landmarks, including the Tapkeshwar Temple and the Lachhiwala picnic spot.
- Additionally, Dehradun is known for its educational institutions, such as the Indian Military Academy and the Forest Research Institute.
- Dehradun is also famous for its delicious street food and local markets. Due to its natural beauty, it also a popular destination for adventure sports such as rock climbing, paragliding, and river rafting.
Historical and Mythological significance of Dehradun
Grand Historical Significance
Dehradun is one of the oldest cities in India and has a very rich cultural history. During the rule of the Mughals, it was once the capital of Asian Empire. Dehradun has also been associated with mythological tales, where Dronacharya lived with his family in this small town during the days of Mahabharata. The ancient age temples around Dehradun have added to its grandeur as thousands of devotees flock to offer their respects on major festivals like Diwali and Holi at these places every year.
Apart from its historical importance, Dehradun has an important place in mythological tales as well. It is believed that Just before going for exile, Pandavas visited the holy shrines present near Dehradun city to seek divine blessings of Gods and Goddesses. Several mythological stories regarding Shiva and Vishnu are still being narrated around this city which boosts its spiritual significance as well as attracting tourists from different parts of India and abroad every year.
Best Places to Explore in Dehradun
- Sahastradhara is a beautiful place located in Dehradun. It is a very popular picnic spot and ideal for spending some quality time with family and friends.
- It offers stunning views of the Ganges Valley and lush green countryside. The area has hot spring waters that attract tourists from all over the world. You can also enjoy camping, trekking, paragliding, and rafting at Sahastradhara.
Forest Research Institute
- Located amidst picturesque pine forests, this institute is one of the major attractions in Dehradun city. The institute houses various departments related to forestry research such as Botany, Entomology and Silviculture among others.
- It boasts of research being conducted in all aspects of forestry including ecology, genetics, soil science and fire protection studies. Visitors are welcomed to visit the museum within Forest Research Institute which showcases the diversity of wild plants found in India as well as ancient tools used by foresters during the British rule here.
Malsi Deer Park
- The Malsi Deer Park is located 10 km away from Dehradun city centre and serves as an ideal picnic spot for visitors coming from various parts of India.
- This park draws tourists due to its range of education facilities related to nature conservation including a nerve centre, aviary (building housing birds) and 3D theatre specializing in virtual reality displays related to wildlife conservation themes such as poaching etc..
- Visitors should not miss out on clicking pictures with deer here as that’s one activity everyone should definitely do here.
- Robber’s Cave or Gucchupani is conveniently located close to Dehra dun Town Centre making it easily accessible to all kinds of visitors coming from different parts fo India who need a quick escape into nature’s lap while exploring Dehra dun City limits.
- Visitors come here to witness amazing serenity & quietude offered by Robber’s Cave which proves difficult to find due to hustle & bustle associated with bigger cities like Delhi & Mumbai easily accessible near it too.
- Nestled amidst lush greenery on banks of Tons River lies Tapkeshwar Temple – known for its unique Shiva Lingas carved out naturally using lime stones streams that fall inside temple complex.
- Inside complex itself you can witness many shrines dedicated Lord Shiva where devotees from different parts India flock visit personally worship their deity sense spiritual peace calmness there praying religious fervor!! 6. Rajaji National Park.
Rajaji National Park
- Rajaji National Park is located at foothills Shivalik range & serves natural abode animals tigers elephants leopards sloth bears along scores other species flora fauna regularly sighted different areas inside premise few reported even Royal Bengal Tiger sighting claimed recently making it more attractive destination nature lovers bird watchers photographers alike.
- As far activities concerned you canoe Kerala style boats man made lake experience joyride jeep inside protected jungle other experiences like tribal village visit bamboo walk tree house set ups definitely give unparalleled feeling adventure greens.
Guidelines while visiting Dehradun
- Research the best time to visit Dehradun based on your preferences (e.g. weather, peak tourist season).
- Plan your itinerary in advance to make the most of your trip and ensure that you don’t miss out on any must-see sights or activities.
- Be mindful of local customs and etiquette, and dress modestly when visiting religious sites.
- Be prepared for any unexpected weather changes, especially during the monsoon season.
- Pack light, comfortable clothing and footwear as Dehradun is a hill station and there are many places where one has to walk.
- Be aware of the local laws and regulations, and carry all necessary documents (e.g. passport, visa) with you at all times.
- Avoid littering, smoking, and other activities that may harm the environment or the local community.
- Respect the local culture and communities by not taking photographs of people without their permission and not buying items made from endangered animals.
- Try the local cuisine, and be open to trying new foods and flavors.
- Be safe and enjoy your trip to Dehradun!
When visiting Dehradun, one of the most important things to consider is accommodation. The city offers a wide range of options to suit different budgets and preferences.
Dehradun is home to some great luxury and budget hotels that provide comfortable accommodation. The city has a fantastic range of hospitality services, ranging from five-star hotels, boutique resorts, hill resorts to budget hotels all offering modern amenities such as free wifi, complimentary breakfast, in-room dining, fitness center and swimming pool among others.
- Home Stays
Travelling with a large group or family? Home stays are an affordable option available in Dehradun where you can enjoy the comfort and convenience of your own private home while travelling. These fully furnished homes come with everything you’d need for an ideal staycation including spacious bedrooms, kitchen facilities and beautiful gardens.
- Guest Houses
If you’re looking for something different from the usual hotel room experience, then head on over to one of the many guest houses located in Dehradun. These are typically operated by families who offer rooms for rent along with local meals daily at a very reasonable rate much lower than those of the regular accommodations elsewhere.
- Camping Site
Offering a unique way to explore Dehradun is camping in the nearby Himalayan foothills which offer an experience like no other. Experience absolute tranquillity surrounded by lush greenery and breath-taking natural beauty during your stay at these gatherings camp sitea run by various adventure groups in India.
For those who want to get away from it all and want a luxurious hideaway in the hills of Dehradun then head over to one of the many high end resorts that this area has to offer such as Claridges Resort Naini Tal or Woodsvilla Resorts Mussorie which guarantee complete peace and seclusion along with superior hospitality services unmatched anywhere else.
Hostels can be found all around Dehradun if you’re looking for very low cost accommodation options that are also value oriented yet secure & cosy! There are several hostel chains like Zostel that have operaitions witin city limits as well as near tourist attractions.
- Cottages & Bungalows
For people looking for complete privacy nothing beats renting out cottages & bungalows from AirBnB or even better sitese like IAMHiking which offers bookings directly from locals providing authentic experiences included within packages like delicious local food, recipe sharing sessions etc .
Cuisine you can have in Dehradun are
Dehradun is known for its delicious and diverse cuisine. here are some popular cuisines :
It’s one of the most beloved dishes amongst the locals and consists of spicy red kidney beans cooked with tomato and ginger-garlic paste, served over basmati rice.
One word that summarizes the cuisine of Dehradun is “dham”, which means a thali or platter, usually consisting of roti (Indian flat bread), daal (lentils), khichdi (a mixture of rice, lentils and spices) cooked in ghee (clarified butter), yogurt, raita (yogurt-vegetable side dish) and chaas (buttermilk).
- Kandalee/Kandalee ka Mitha
Kandalee is a sweet food made of plain dough prepared with ghee and sugar syrup added to it. The taste is sinfully delicious and Dehradunites have grown up loving it. The mitha has no match when it comes to finger licking deliciousness.
- Aloo Ka Parantha
Aloo Ka Parantha, also known as ‘potato stuffed flatbread’, is another popular snack found in almost every corner café throughout Dehradun’s streets.
- Ayurvedic Achar
Ayurvedic Achar which translates to pickled vegetable curry is one dish that should not be missed! This traditional recipe includes seasonal vegetables such as bitter guard mixed with fenugreek leaves, cumin & mustard seeds along with nigella seeds then simmered until tender before it gets seasoned with lime juice & garnished with freshly chopped coriander leaves making this entrée something special indeed! Deliciously tangy and chunky – no wonder why everyone forggfgfgfever loves it so much!
- Bhang Chutney
Ah, now here’s something every mealtime in Dehradun must include – bhang chutney made from hempseeds forming its base ingredient accompanied by onions, garlic cloves & ginger all ground together until smooth before being served alongside any Indian dish.
- Bal Mithai
Bal Mithai is another popular sweet found within any nook & corner sweetshop throughout town – traditionally prepared using white chocolate combined using roasted crushed peanuts.
Activities you can do in Dehradun
Dehradun and its stunning green valleys are perfect for trekkers of all levels. From easy treks such as Sahastradhara, Robber’s Cave, George Everest and Nag Tibba, to challenging ones like Kheer Ganga and Kuari Pass, Dehradun has the perfect route for everyone!
- Rock Climbing in Mussoorie
Take your adventurous passion to the next level by indulging in rock climbing! The rocky slopes of Mussoorie provide an extreme sense of thrill and excitement. Numerous experienced instructors providing tutorials will ensure you learn practical skills needed for rock climbing with ease.
If spending a night under the stars is on your bucket list, then look no further than Dehradun’s camping experience at Rajaji National Park or Nehru Colony Valley! Offering a diverse range of activities including bonfires, bamboo-rafting, and bird watching , this place ensures that your visit is both educational and enjoyable!
- River Rafting
One of the most popular activities here is river rafting which offers some tremendously exciting experiences along Rispana River near Cambridge University campus. Adventure enthusiasts can tackle rapids up to Grade IV+ during their adventurous journey through picturesque landscape around Narendra Nagar and Shivpuri regions.
- Kayaking in Sri Yantra retreat centre
Kayaking is another fun-filled water sport that can be enjoyed here at Sri Yantra retreat centre . Paddle through sea waves or simply enjoy waterskipping around — it promises great adventure if taken up as team sport excursion or family outing tour !
Averages Daily Temperture of Dehradun
The city experiences a moderate climate throughout the year, with the average daily maximum and minimum temperatures varying depending on the season. In this table,have a look at the averages of daily maximum and minimum temperatures of Dehradun in Celsius, as recorded over the past few years:
|Month||Average Daily Maximum Temperature (°C)||Average Daily Minimum Temperature (°C)|