Pauri Garhwal is a district in the Indian state of Uttarakhand, known for its beautiful natural landscapes and rich cultural heritage. Exploring the beauty of Pauri Garhwal is a must-do for anyone visiting Uttarakhand. The district is home to several popular tourist destinations.
Historical and Mythological Significance of Pauri Garhwal:
Mythology Behind the Name: ‘Pauri’ According to mythology, Pauri got its name from the word ‘Parvat’, meaning “mountain” or “hill” as ‘Pahari’, which later came to be known as ‘Pauri’.
Historical Significance: In ancient times, Pauri Garhwal was part of the Kuru Kingdom, mentioned in Hindu epic Mahabharata. During the Mughal period, Pauri Garhwal was under the rule of the Rajputs.
Mythological Significance: According to mythology and Vedic texts, it was founded by Kauravas King Duryodhana as a revenge against his younger brother Pandava King Yudhishthira. The exact year of Pauri’s establishment is still unknown, but its presence since 1219 A.D.
Why you should visit Pauri Garhwal?
Here are some key points as to why you should visit Pauri Garhwal:
- Natural beauty: Pauri Garhwal is known for its natural beauty, with lush green forests, snow-capped mountains, and crystal-clear rivers.
- Adventure: Wide range of adventure activities such as trekking, rock climbing, mountain biking, and paragliding.
- Cultural and historical significance: Pauri Garhwal is rich in cultural and historical significance, with ancient temples and shrines.
- Peaceful and serene environment: Ideal place to relax and rejuvenate in a peaceful and serene environment.
- Char Dham Hindu Pilgrimage: An important destination for the Char Dham Hindu pilgrimage, attracting thousands of devotees every year.
How to reach Pauri Garhwal?
- By Air: The nearest airport is Jolly Grant Airport located at a distance of 74 km in Dehradun. You can reach here from the major cities like New Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata directly by air.
- By Train: The nearest railway station to Pauri Garhwal is Kotdwara Railway Station which is situated 118 km away from the city. Kotdwar junction connects to some important cities such as Lucknow, Varanasi, Dehradun and many more.
- By Road: The most convenient way to reach Pauri Garhwal from Delhi is via national highway (NH58). It takes approximately 8-9 hours to complete this journey of 270 kilometers via road.
Best places to visit in Pauri Garhwal:
Chandrashila Peak is a great destination to visit in Pauri Garhwal and offers visitors spectacular views of the Himalayas. It is located at an altitude of 4,000 metres above sea level.
Deoria Tal is another beautiful place to explore in Pauri Garhwal located at an altitude of 2,438 m above sea level. The sparkling lake surrounded by snow-clad mountains creates one of the most picturesque landscapes that one can ever experience.
Dhanaulti Eco Park:
Dhanaulti Eco Park is spread across 14 acres amidst dense pine and oak groves. The park houses various attractions including zip-lining, rope courses and adventure sports that are sure to provide thrill seekers with an adrenaline rush.
Kedarnath Wildlife Sanctuary:
The Kedarnath Wildlife Sanctuary spans across 968 sq kilometres making it one of largest protected areas. In India and home to many species of wildlife including musk deer, brown bears, leopards and yaks.
Neelkanth Mahadev Temple:
- Neelkanth Mahadev Temple is located at an elevation of 1,678 metres above sea level near Rishikesh.
- In Pauri district offering breathtaking views of the surrounding valley.
- The temple complex consists largely of white marble structures housing image idols of Hindu deities along with number mythological stories associated with its origin dating back centuries ago.
Dhari Devi Temple:
- Dhari Devi Temple lies on the banks of River Alakananda between Srinagar Garhwal district and Pauri Garhwal district at Dhari Village near Kirti Nagar in Mandi District Himachal Pradesh India.
- The Dhari Devi temple houses different idols Mahakaali (Goddess Kali), Uma Maheshwari (Goddess Parvati) & Goddess Kiwad which are said to be installed by Pandavas during their exile.
Near By Destination:
Tehri: Located at 75 km away from Pauri Garhwal, Tehri is known as one of the few places in Uttarakhand that has managed to maintain its age-old charm even after continuous development over time. Blessed by nature with stunning oaks and pines trees.
Mussoorie: Mussoorie is one of the most popular nearby destinations from Pauri Garhwal, located at a distance of only 100 km away. An area of mesmerising hill stations, Mussoorie is also known for a variety of trekking activities as well as breathtaking views of the Himalayas and Shivalik ranges.
Devprayag: Another gem sitting around 125 km off from Pauri and famous for being magical holy city; Devprayag is must visit destination serving perfect blend holy attractions.
Haridwar: Located at about 130 km away from Pauri district lies ‘Haridwar’ one of the holiest places in India. It is enshrined with mythological tales & majestic scenery apt for spiritual healing of mind & soul! Visit this beautiful town to cherish devotional aura & witness several religious rituals performed along banks of River Ganges making your day worthwhile here.
Where to Stay?
Hotel Heavens: Hotel Heavens is a beautiful hotel located in Pauri Garhwal that overlooks the majestic Himalayan mountains and provides luxurious accommodation in all seasons. it offers scenic views and amenities like an outdoor pool, a spa, a fitness center, and much more.
Pahadi House Homestay: Pahadi House is a traditional home stay located near Pokhri Village in Pauri district of Uttarakhand. The homestay offers budget-friendly accommodations with basic amenities like free Wi-Fi, parking, laundry services and bath towels.
Snow Crest Resort & Spa Snow: Crest Resort & Spa is one of the best resort hotels situated on the banks of Bhimtal lake surrounded by lush vegetation and providing magnificent views of Nainital City’s upper part.
- Bhaang ki khatai: a traditional sweet made from bhaang (cannabis) leaves and gud (jaggery).
- Rus: a sweet dish made from rajgira flour, jaggery and ghee.
- Arsa: a sweet dish made from wheat flour, jaggery and ghee.
- Dubuk: a dish made from mashed lentils and spices, often served with rice.
- Chainsoo: a dish made from mashed potatoes and spices, often served with rice.
- Jholi: a stew made from mixed vegetables and lentils, often served with rice.
Activities you can do in Pauri Garhwal:
Trekking: Pauri Garhwal is situated in the beautiful Himalayas and is a great place for trekking. There are many popular trails through stunning terrain with spectacular views of snow-capped mountains, deep gorges, and breathtaking valleys.
Camping in Pauri Garhwal is the best way to truly enjoy nature at its finest.
Pitch your tent by tranquil rivers or mountain lakes while you wake up to the sounds of chirping birds and immense silence all around you. Popular camping sites include Slacku Campsite in Srinagar, Dhara Campsite in Kanrori, Mangra Bugyal.
Paragliding: you then try paragliding over stunning landscapes of Uttarakhand! Scenic sites like Naukuchiatal Lake offer perfect conditions with mild thermals which are ideal even for beginners who want to experience.