Tehri Garhwal located in the Indian state of Uttarakhand, is a must-visit destination for any traveler seeking a rich cultural experience. The region is known for the majestic Himalayan mountain range and the serene waters of the Bhagirathi river. From epic fairs and festivals to age-old temples and shrines, Tehri Garhwal offers an amazing historical tour to all those who visit.
Popular Places to Visit in Tehri Garhwal:
- Chamba is one of the most beautiful and picturesque hill stations located in the Tehri-Garhwal region of Uttarakhand.
- Surrounded by lush green forests and Misty Mountains, this small town is a paradise for nature lovers and photographers wishing to capture its stunning views.
- It boasts many interesting historical sites, including ruins of old fort walls, ancient temples, and ancient monasteries
Tehri Dam plays a critical role in providing the fuel necessary for India’s movement towards rapid industrialization and urban growth. With an installed capacity of over 2,400 megawatts.
The Tehri Dam allows for greater water conservation through its construction, as well as increasing irrigation capacities around the area from 80% prior to completion to nearly 90%.
Surkhanda Devi Temple:
Surkhanda Devi Temple, located about 25 kilometers from the holy pilgrim town of Uttarkashi, is one of the most important pilgrimage destinations for Hindus in India
Mythological Beliefs According to popular belief, Sage Markandey was once passing through these parts when he received ecstatic visions that lead him towards discovering an image of Surkhanda Devi which he then proceeded to install in an appropriate place near a waterfall about 70 feet high in 1944 AD situated in what we know today as the Surkhanda Devi Temple complex or Soondar Valley.
- History Chandrabani Temple is one of the oldest temples in the Tehri Garhwal region. It was built around 7th-8th century AD by King Ajai Pal Chauhan, who was believed to be a great devotee of Lord Vishnu.
- located just 4 km away from Bharatwala village on an altitude of 4500 feet above sea level.
- Chandrabani Temple marks several festivals through the year such as Mata Raas Mela in May/June, Janmashthami (Lord Krishna’s birth anniversary), Makar Sankranti festival and annual Ganga Dussehra Mela
- The religious significance behind Buddha Kedar is immense. Every year during Mahashivratri a grand fair takes place at this location where devotees come from all over the country to seek blessings from Lord Shiva.
- The temple is located on the banks of the Mandakini river, and is believed to have been built during the 12th century. It is a popular pilgrimage site for Hindus, and attracts thousands of devotees every year.
How to reach Tehri Garhwal?
- By Air: Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest airport of Tehri Garhwal and Its esilily connected to Delhi Airport.
- By Train: Rishikesh is the nearest railway station of Tehri garhwal.taxi cars are easily available from Rishikesh railway station.
- By Bus: The best way to reach Tehri Garhwal by bus is to take a state bus or a private bus from Delhi to Dehradun. Buses from Delhi depart from various locations around the city and can be booked either online or offline at various travel agencies.
Where to Stay?
- The Den Resort: Located in the foothills of the majestic Himalayan ranges. This luxury resort offers a wide array of amenities including a spa, pool and health club, along with beautiful views of the nearby snow-clad peaks.
- Sterling Ananda Resort: Situated in the heart of Tehri Garhwal district, this pristine resort provides an array of activities such as trekking, river rafting, art workshops and more.
- Maharaja Hotels & Resorts : One of the leading properties located just 8 kilometres from Narendra Nagar this spot houses some luxury stay delights like Swiss cottage tents , river view cottages etc .
Tehri Garhwal weather:
- Hot Summers: The summers in Tehri Garhwal are fairly hot due to the presence of high mountains and hills that block winds carrying cooler temperatures from the northern plains.
- Pleasant Winters: Winters in Tehri Garhwal are pleasant and mild, making it one of the best times to visit for those who prefer cooler climates. Daytime temperatures usually hover between 7-15 degrees Celsius (45-60 degrees Fahrenheit) while evenings get considerably chilly and require warm clothing for comfort.
- Heavy Monsoons: Tehri Garhwal experiences an annual monsoon period from June to September that brings heavy rainfall and humid weather conditions.
Activities to do in Tehri Garhwal:
Rafting: Tehri Garhwal is an excellent destination for white water rafting in India, situated within the beautiful natural backdrop of the Himalayas. With rapids from grades two to six, along the rivers Bhagirathi and Alaknanda.
Trekking: The area is full of breathtaking mountains, hills and trails that make it an ideal adventure spot for trekking enthusiasts. Whether you’re looking for an easy one-day trek or a challenging expedition.
Paragliding: An activity which requires minimal equipment but promise maximum thrills that’s paragliding!
In Tehri Garwhal valley people having interest in this sport can go paragliding on snow capped mountains with great safety measures taken by certified companies .
Bhatt ki Churkani: Bhatt ki Churkani is a traditional Garhwali rice dish that is served in Uttarakhand during special occasions and festivals
Aloo ke Gutke: Aloo ke Gutke is a flavorful potato curry widely eaten throughout the Garhwal region.
Jhomooki Chatni: A unique dry chutney originating from Northern India, Jhomooki Chatni is an aromatic blend of several dried herbs and spices roasted together to make a crunchy paste.